Due to pesticide contamination, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) has issued an immediate recall of cannabis products. The recall was triggered when it was reported to the OLCC on December 29, 2020, that an extract failed its pesticide test. An investigation into the OLCC traceability database revealed the contaminated cannabis was initially transferred into the state’s adult-use system by a medical cannabis grower — medical growers in Oregon can sell up to 20 lbs of cannabis into the adult-use market each year — and then was mixed with other flower for extraction purposes and for products like pre-rolls.
According to an OLCC press release, Ecotest — whose laboratory license was revoked in September 2020 for a variety of violations — gave the hot batch the green light for sale in March 2020, allowing it to make its way into other products. However, none of the contaminated extract that failed tests in December made its way onto store shelves.
What to look for:
Emerald Extracts Purple Slurry
- Manufactured by Emerald Treasure LLC (030-1008341A083)
- Label Id = 2805
- Made on 9/9/20
- Tested by MW Labs (010-1008606C050) on 9/14/2020
Cannabis flower pre-rolls
- Strains of “Qurkle,” “BP Oil Slick,” or “Green Crush”
- Tested by Ecotest (010-1008170B3B6) on 3/12/2020
- Sold from Bernie’s Universal Dispensaries in South Beach, OR
According to the OLCC, The analyte Abamectin was detected on the flower and extract. Abamectin is a general use pesticide with a toxicity class IV, or “practically nontoxic.” It is used as an insecticide, particularly for mites, and is derived from the soil bacteria Streptomyces avermitilis. It affects the nervous system of insects, according to the Extension Toxicology Network.
“Symptoms of poisoning observed in laboratory animals include pupil dilation, vomiting, convulsions and/or tremors, and coma. Abamectin acts on insects by interfering with the nervous system. At very high doses, it can affect mammals, causing symptoms of nervous system depression such as incoordination, tremors, lethargy, excitation, and pupil dilation. Very high doses have caused death from respiratory failure. Abamectin is not readily absorbed through skin.” — Excerpt from the Extension Toxicology Network Pesticide Information Profile
No adverse health effects have been reported but anyone in possession of the contaminated products should either dispose of them immediately or return them to the retailer where they were purchased, the agency said.
Exclusive offer from our sponsor:
Get daily news insights in your inbox. Subscribe