The family of the woman who died last year at Trulieve’s Holyoke, Massachusetts cannabis facility has filed a lawsuit against the company and the people who worked on its HVAC system, NBC Boston reports. The lawsuit alleges negligence, recklessness, and misconduct surrounding the death of then-27-year-old Lorna McMurrey, who the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) said died after inhaling “ground cannabis dust.”
In the lawsuit, McMurrey’s family claims that she had an asthma attack about two months before her death while working at the facility and that “Truelive was aware of this incident, but took no steps to protect Lorna following her collapse while inside the Facility.”
A report published last week by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that McMurrey’s death was the first reported occupational asthma death in the cannabis industry, although it did not name McMurrey in the report, NBC Boston reports. The report says the worker’s death “illustrates missed opportunities for prevention, including workplace exposures, medical surveillance, and treatment according to the current asthma guidelines.”
In January, Trulieve agreed to a settlement with OSHA that led to a $14,502 fine, reduced from $35,219.
Get daily cannabis business news updates. Subscribe