The Trident by Hitoki sparks immediate interest in any cannabis connoisseur because, unlike any other smoking device on the market, the Trident is the first smoking device that uses laser combustion. Yeah — lasers, y’all.
The brand was started by two brothers, Joe and Jack Tran, who as kids used to play together with laser pointers to project animal prints onto the walls or ceilings. As adults, they have revisited this childhood appreciation for lasers by inventing a novel and healthy alternative to smoking cannabis with fire. What they created is a water-filtered 445 NM blue laser-powered bong that is so efficient that a single laser cycle can get one person quite high.
Combining laser combustion with water filtration creates a clean, flavorful hit that is complemented by the groovy sight of blue lasers visible through the red paneled protective chamber. The device consists of a few different pieces that lock together before use. The cylindrical piece is weighty, consisting of a water chamber affixed to the area where the hose or mouthpiece is attached. Stacked on top of this is the red chamber that contains the lasers, directly under the electrical setup that powers the whole thing. The Trident is activated by an LED-lit button on top of the device and charges with a USB-C charger that comes included in the box. After one quick watch of the instructive YouTube video, it was easy to use.
How to Use The Trident by Hitoki:
- Fully charge a new device with the provided charger before using it.
- Unlock the inner locks and attach the hose adapter to the bottom chamber.
- Twist the water reservoir open to fill with a small amount of water, don’t fill past the line at the bottom of the metal stem.
- Unscrew the loading chamber from the top of the water chamber and pack with finely ground herb, use the flat end of the included dual-tool to lightly pack herb in.
- Reconnect inner locks — if they aren’t connected, the laser won’t fire.
- Insert the hose or mouthpiece into the hose connector.
- Press the power button at the top of the unit 5 times to activate the device, then press the button three times to choose between the three heat settings.
- Choose between holding the button or double-tap the button for a continuous 9-second beam, pull on the hose to fill the chamber while the laser fires.
- Pull from the hose or attachment until the chamber is empty.
Vaping with The Trident
The Trident is a novel and useful piece of technology that is ideal for at-home use due to its weight and size. I wouldn’t recommend this as a portable piece, but it can be easily transported to a friend’s house in a backpack for a group sesh. The option to choose between a hookah-style hose and a mouthpiece also makes it versatile for single-use to group sessions. As far as consumption goes, the vapor is crisp and clear, solely featuring the flavor of the bud rather than the sometimes muddled flavor created by combustion. Also, it is pretty simple to use once you get a quick tutorial — even my tech-challenged husband figured it out on his own after I explained it only once.
This is the first time I’ve been impressed by a tabletop vape since first trying the Storz & Bickel Volcano in 2011, which is really saying something because the Volcano teeters on perfection. The fact that The Trident is slightly more portable and uses nifty lasers is what improves on that iconic vape design. I’d recommend The Trident by Hitoki to any one who is looking for an alternative to traditional smoking methods, has interest in cool technology, or is in search of the clearest high.
Exclusive offer from our sponsor:
Get daily news insights in your inbox. Subscribe